Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ray Rasmussen: TWICE IN THE GARDEN


I cross an arched bridge over a pond to reach Kurimoto Garden’s bell gazebo. It’s there I’ll escape the hot sun and the noisy crowd. Sitting next to the cast iron bell, I read Buson:
.
resting
on a one ton temple bell
moon moth

Eyes closed, my hand becomes the moth, fingers antennae, exploring the bell’s cool decorated surface . . . settling . . . resting . . .

Footsteps, a child's voice, Mom, can I? A rattle of chains as the massive wooden clapper is pulled back and released. A low pitched “goooooong” fills my chest, sings in me. The Moon Moth stirs, flutters out into the garden . . .

stone lantern
in the clouds
drifting
.
.
Note: the Buson haiku is my rendition of a translation by X.J. Kennedy
.
.
by Ray Rasmussen
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

No comments: